September 7, 2005
September 7, 2005 | Updates
Samuel slept better last night. He woke up with a fever of about 103 this morning. They took blood and urine cultures and his white blood count is high. So they took a chest x-ray. It indicates that he may have aspirated some of what he threw up a few days ago. It did not show pneumonia yet, but small pockets of fluid in his lungs. We will see if the doctors put him on antibiotics tomorrow or not.Most of the day went well. We also spoke to a urologist to inform us that he may be retaining urine because his bladder is having spasms like the rest of his body. They can do a test to determine if it is and then give him medication to relax his bladder if so. But they can’t get him in for the test for about a month, so until then he will need to be cathetered every 4 hours. Waiting a month seems pretty ridiculous, but I don’t know what other choice we have.
Samuel fell asleep for the night at 7:30 pm, but at 10 pm, he woke up and threw up more than I have seen him throw up since we began our stay here. I didn’t think he aspirated anything, but the nurse says the top of his lungs sound worse than they did before he threw up. Not good and I’m not sure what our options are to fix this problem. For tonight, his feeds will be stopped.
We gave him some ambien at about 11:30 pm and he is just falling back to sleep. Hopefully, he will have a good night. He sounds very congested and croopy which is probably his body trying to fight off the infection in his lungs. However, his fever has not returned since this morning, so that’s a good sign.
Keep us all in your prayers. We need to figure out what to do about his feedings so we can get him home. Pray that we will know the right decisions to make. We love you!
Teresa, Tom Samuel & Boys